New York Times bestselling author Chris Guillebeau is my guest on the podcast today to talk about his new book The Money Tree – and it couldn't be coming out at a better time.
Chris's books, including The $100 Startup and Side Hustle share a common theme of empowering people to create financial independence without relying solely on an employer.
The Money Tree is a story about a new pathway to self reliance and financial freedom – and it couldn't be more timely.
I had the opportunity to read an advance copy of the book a couple of months ago. And then Chris and I recorded this podcast episode about one week before businesses starting closing, shelter-in-place orders were enacted and millions of people found themselves without an income overnight due to a global health emergency.
Our conversation in this podcast episode has taken on a whole new meaning for me in the context of what's happening in our world right now. So if you're feeling a little lost and powerless, and want to feel inspired and empowered, you are not going to want to miss this interview.
And check out Chris's latest blog post, “The Second-Best Thing You Can Do Right Now” – my favorite quote: “Just because you aren’t a first-responder doesn’t mean you don’t have something to offer the world right now. “
Chris and I talk about:
- Chris’s journey from an entrepreneur to author.
- The #1 key to financial freedom.
- Chris’s advice for someone just out of college who wants to become an entrepreneur.
- The “third way” of entrepreneurship that’s low risk and high reward.
- This inspiration behind Chris’s new book, The Money Tree.
- Why making mistakes is critical to the entrepreneurial journey.
- Chris’s best advice for you if you’re struggling to grow your side hustle.
- The one belief Chris had to change about himself to get where he is today.
My favorite quotes from Chris:
- “I began to understand how powerful entrepreneurship can be as a force for good and for creating positive change.”
- “I think there's so many possibilities these days… why would you do something that you're not excited about?”
- “’There is another way.’ That's my favorite phrase in the world.”
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Side Hustle School Podcast
- Ohio IT Director Earns $31,000 Setting Up WordPress Sites
Chris Guillebeau is the New York Times bestselling author of The $100 Startup, Side Hustle, The Happiness of Pursuit, and other books. During a lifetime of self-employment that included a four-year commitment as a volunteer executive in West Africa, he visited every country in the world (193 in total) before his 35th birthday. His daily podcast, Side Hustle School, is downloaded more than two million times a month. He is also the founder of the World Domination Summit, an event for cultural creatives that attracts thousands of attendees to Portland, Oregon every summer.
Connect with Chris:
- Website: chrisguillebeau.com
- Instagram: @193countries
- Facebook: @chrisguillebeau
- Twitter: @chrisguillebeau