I met today’s guest very early on in my business journey when we were both members of One Woman Shop, and not only was I blown away by what she’s created over the past 5 years and the advice she is giving you guys in today’s episode… but I also left our conversation feeling more emboldened to stand up for things that I believe in that I’ve tended to shy away from in the past – and I hope you can take away a piece of that from our conversation today too.
Monica Froese is a professional blogger and Pinterest marketing expert. She has an MBA in finance and marketing and blogs at Redefining Mom, a site for helping women thrive in motherhood and business.
She provides online marketing education to small businesses that are looking to build a profitable revenue stream through effective sales funnels and Pinterest ads.
Today we’re talking about:
- Monica’s journey from starting a working-mom blog to getting invited to the White House.
- The turning point in her life that led Monica to put in her full effort and create a business that could replace her corporate salary.
- The importance of commitment, focus and action.
- Why blogging is not creating content – and what it really is.
- Monica’s perspective on mom-guilt and being a working mother.
- The financial possibilities that come with getting out from under the corporate pay ceiling.
- Monica’s revenue streams and how she manages her two businesses.
- Why you don’t need to be doing 1:1 client work first to be successful in teaching.
- Monica’s advice for someone who is struggling to get traction in their business.
- The one belief Monica had to change about herself to get where she is today.
My favorite quotes from Monica:
- “The President just asked me what I'm doing to make a difference. And really not a whole lot besides just venting on my blog. So how do I make a difference? And that was the turning point for this business.”
- “I am going to make this into something. I'm not going to squander this opportunity.”
- “I don't expect anyone to come in and give me some sort of ironclad roadmap to make this work because it doesn't exist.”
- “That load of laundry is literally costing us hundreds of dollars if I do it. I know what my time's worth and it's worth a heck of a lot more than doing a load of laundry.”
- “I refuse to have mom guilt. Mom guilt is not in my vocabulary so I actually have no qualms telling my seven-year-old, ‘Hey this is Mommy's work time and you will get my undivided attention when work time is over.’”
- “The basics for a (Pinterest) ad strategy are also the basics for an organic strategy. At the end of the day, Pinterest is keywords and clickable images and if you get those two things down, you're going to be rolling on both sides of the house.”
- “It's not supposed to feel easy or even great in the beginning. You just have to keep showing up every day. Consistency is key.”
Monica is a professional blogger and Pinterest marketing expert. She has an MBA degree in finance and marketing and blogs at Redefining Mom, a site for helping women thrive in motherhood and business.
She spent 11 years working for a Fortune 100 company running multi-million dollar marketing campaigns with large brands like Microsoft, HP, and Cisco. Now, she provides online marketing education to small businesses that are looking to build a profitable revenue stream through effective sales funnels and Pinterest ads.